Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016 (2:05 PM PDT)
Distance (surface): About 6 ½ furlongs (turf)
Race ESR: -6 (moderate/brisk)
Race LSR: -7 (fair/good)
Days Since Last Race: 34.5
Last-Race Odds: 7-2
Median BSF: 90.0
Median ESR: -3 (moderate/soft)
Median LSR: -4 (good/excellent)
Running Style: F
- Previous winners of the Turf Sprint are 1-for-7 in subsequent Turf Sprint tries, as only Mizdirection (winner in 2012 and 2013) was able to repeat. Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): MONGOLIAN SATURDAY.
- Four of the eight Turf Sprint winners showed multiple wins over the home track, producing an ROI of 93 percent. Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): AMBITIOUS BREW, GUNS LOADED, HUNT, OBVIOUSLY, OM and STORMY LIBERAL.
- So much for class — five of the eight Turf Sprint winners last competed for a purse of less than $200K. Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): AMBITIOUS BREW, MONGOLIAN SATURDAY, PURE SENSATION, UNDRAFTED, HOME OF THE BRAVE, HOLY LUTE, LADY SHIPMAN, GREEN MASK, GUNS LOADED, MEHRONISSA, ACAPULCO, PRIZE EXHIBIT, HUNT, TOOWINDYTOHAULROX, READY FOR RYE and STORMY LIBERAL.
- Six of eight Turf Sprint champions sported a median ESR of less than zero. Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): ACAPULCO, AMBITIOUS BREW, GREEN MASK, GUNS LOADED, HOLY LUTE, HUNT, MONGOLIAN SATURDAY, OBVIOUSLY, OM, PURE SENSATION and READY FOR RYE.
- Related to the above, of the 39 horses with an “F” (frontrunning) Pace Profile Report style designation, five won, returning profits across the board. Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): MONGOLIAN SATURDAY, OBVIOUSLY, PURE SENSATION and LADY SHIPMAN.
STARTLING STAT: Horses that went to post at odds of 10-1 or greater in their final prep are 0-for-26 in the Turf Sprint and have finished in the exacta just once.
Qualifiers (as of Oct. 30): CALGARY CAT, KARAR, WASHINGTON DC, HOLY LUTE and SUCCESSFUL NATIVE.